Saturday, March 19, 2011

3/10 - Flight to Auckland and time with Matt R

After a quiet night with my Fijian host family, during which I tried to cook them a risotto dinner without Parmesan or abborrio rice, which went over surprisingly well...or, at least, everyone politely ate it, I went to bed early to get to the airport by 6am, local time. My family drove me to the airport. Everyone in the family was exceedingly kind and gracious. I'm so happy I met them!

The flight to Auckland went uneventfully enough. My one worry was that, due to my lack of a wireless Internet connection, I wasn't able to contact Meghan's friend Matt to confirm with him that he would meet me at the airport to pick me up. The only information I had about him was that he would be wearing all black with white stripes. It was, then, amazing how well this old-school method for connecting at airports (I.e. pre cell phone era) worked! Within about 5 minutes of milling around in the lobby, I saw a man dressed as described above. At the same time upon looking at each other, we mouthed each other's names. 

Matt then drove me to his mum's house, where he is currently staying in between apartments, and we dropped off my stuff en route to driving me downtown to buy a cell phone and to rent a car. 

These things accomplished, I spent the evening with Matt. He very generously took me out to dinner and drinks at various Auckland pubs and we chatted about travels, especially his adventures in Canada and Australia, as well as what it's like for him to have a kid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment