Saturday, March 12, 2011

3/7 - Arrived In Fiji!

Bula! This is the traditional greeting in the Fijian native language I have heard dozens of times since my arrival here. After my overnight flight, I arrived in Fiji much earlier than expected...the flight got in about a half hour ahead of schedule. We were supposed to arrive at almost 4:30am local time, but got here around 3:50. There was a "meet and greet" gentleman at the airport who recommended we wait until at least 6:30am to head to my couchsurf. Even though the hostess said for me to come straight from the plane, I thought it would be more polite to follow the meet and greet guy's advice. And as it turned out, my hostess was still asleep when I arrived at 6:35am. Even though the directions were kind of crazy, the taxi driver (and the meet and greet guy, who came to make sure I got there OK) had no real trouble. I include the directions here to show why I'm mildly surprised about this:


DIRECTIONS:
My house is located in a place called "Bountyful" housing estate. The name of the place that has all the supermarkets & Internet cafe is called "Namaka". There is a Municipal food market located almost towards the end of Namaka supermarkets if you are coming from the airport or almost the beginning of Namaka supermakets if you are coming from Nadi or Suva. Right opposite the Municipal market you will find a feeder road, follow the road - the second turn on your right (go through that road on the 2nd turn)- the 4th house on your left is my house. If you are catching a cab from the airport, cost of cab should be F$5.00.



Not impossible, for sure, but I was still amazed that there were no real problems getting here. My hostess is awake now, and I'm going to go introduce myself to her. I'll let everyone know how it went later on. Cheers!




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment